Hello from the Shaka – the surf tribe’s monthly newsletter about all things surf 👋
""Monthly"". The Shaka skipped the month of June, but we were running our group surf weeks in the Algarve and when given the choice between typing words on a keyboard and going surfing with a group of new friends.. well guess what I chose.
This unscheduled interruption might happen again in September but in the meantime enjoy some of our favorite videos and stories - and all the beauty that Summertime has to offer.
Video of the Month: THANK YOU MOTHER
I'm not even going to comment, just copying and pasting here the first YouTube comment:"Thank you mother, isn’t just a canonical surf film, it’s an instruction manual for being present and happy. It’s as if Allan Watts surfed."
And here are our latest and favorite Surf Stories, Movies & Happenings!
- Amid all the madness going on in the world, some people strive to make things better for others. Here in Baleal (Portugal), where many Ukrainian families have been settling for the last few months, examples of such people abound. Read about how one Ukrainian is helping fleeing families – through surfing.
- New reads on our surf blog:
- If you listen closely, surfing is a wise friend: these are 6 profound lessons that surfing teaches us about life.
- Thinking about a trip in the Algarve? Check out our guide to the best surf spots in the Algarve and southwest Portugal!
- Okay, done with reading? Then enjoy some hi-fi surfing and the story of two up-and-coming surfers. Watch DNA, a surf movie about brotherly bonds and the meteoric rise of the Colapinto bros.
- Watching surf movies at home is fun but you know what's cooler? Going to Surf Film festivals. Good thing is, the Portuguese Surf Film Festival is back next week in Ericeira so if you are around - you should go. My movie recommendations? Vona, an incredible story about surfing in Turkey (playing on 24.07) and The Yin & Yang of Gerry Lopez (on 31.07).
That's all folks!
Always remember to stay stoked and hydrated,
Gian &the surf tribe