Hello from the Shaka – the surf tribe’s monthly newsletter about all things surf 👋
When we daydream of surfing, our minds usually wander towards idyllic and remote tropic destinations.You know the drill: crystal clear water and windless peaks. Boardshorts and bikinis. Long days in the sun.
Truth is, most of us from the Northern Emisphere spend more water time in a wetsuit than out of it. Yes, we might get a few Summer days warm enough to get in the water free and light but most of the time the choice is between a 3/2mm and a 4/3mm.
Thing is, sometimes the most memorable sessions come when you're wearing booties and a hoodie: if you brave the cold, you might just luck in some of the best waves of your life – with few people around.
To make you feel better about getting in a still damp, cold wetsuit in the early morning, here are some videos of people braving the cold this Winter and scoring:
- Every time Torren Martyn releases a surf edit, we watch. Here, we see him dancing in the Northern Atlantic, where when all the elements line up, magic sometimes happens. Distant Shore - Torren Martyn.
- Scotland might not be the first place that comes to mind when you think of surfing: let Sancho, Jonathan Gonzalez and Being Large immediately change your mind. Watch Highlanders.
- In between heats at the Peniche surfing contest in March, John John Florence put on display his powerful and stylish surf around different cold spots. Surfing through Portugal - John John Florence.
- The pros that stayed a bit longer after the contest were rewarded with a super bank that delivered for a few days. Let me tell you, it was cold and it was offshore and it was really good. Post-Contest Barrel Fest For WSL Pros - Peniche, Portugal.
And if you're still daydreaming of warm waters, either join us on a boat trip in the Maldives this October or watch one of the two videos below:
- Would you appreciate being in French Polynesia? I know I would. Watch Coco Ho in Atoll Appreciation.
- How barrelled would you get if you spent 18 months in Indonesia? Probably still less than Will Reid. Watch Honeycomb.
Warm or cold, don't forget to jump in the Ocean as soon as you can 🤙